Thursday, November 3, 2011

Be A DEAL MAVEN! PART 1: The Philosophy

A lot of people who don't coupon say that it just takes too much time.  And you know, I can't dispute that it does take time to locate, clip, sort and match up coupons with sales for the best deal.  But what people fail to see is that if they save $100 on a purchase that would normally cost them $150 and it took them say 3 hours to do the "couponing" they've essentially made $33 an hour, if it took them 4 hours...thats $25 an hour!  And most of the people who say that couponing takes too much time, probably don't even make $25 an hour at their jobs. No offense is meant by this, but I am just trying to put things into perspective!  Now I wouldn't quit my job to coupon without any other income source, but the point is coupon earns you money too!

Couponing effectively increases your disposable income. It gives you the ability to do more with less and to save money towards other goals such as a new car or travelling.  Couponing is a lifestyle and for those who have mastered the art, they're sitting pretty or on their way to it! You don't have to coupon because you don't have any money. On the contrary, many people who coupon do have the money, but realize that they don't have to pay retail!


Save for College the Smart Way!


Once of my favorite quotes I saw on the Facebook page of the Coupon Diva, you may have seen her on TLC's Extreme Couponing show.  She was one the "moderate" couponers! lol.  She posted about a man at the checkout line expressing his dismay of the use of coupons to which she simply responded to him "Do you have debt?" Which he said "YES!" and she replied "I don't" and walked away! POW and POW POW!! (You can check out Coupon Diva on Facebook here).

The problem with most Americans is that we live for current consumption, that's why we are mortgaged to hilt and have debt up the wazoo...including me!  We think only on the surface...just like saying coupons take too much time as a reason not to coupon without realizing the MASSIVE savings that can be had.  My goal is to maximize my earnings and reduce my expenditures...that's the pathway to wealth.  Last year I gave up my beautiful new Avalon in favor of my old (but free and paid off) Dodge.  Yes, I miss my fancy car but I don't miss the note!  These are sacrifices that people aren't willing to make to achieve wealth.  My Dodge isn't pretty, but its free and is allowing me to avoid paying a $400 car note.

People labor under the illusion that rich people have the newest cars and thousand dollar suits. And the truly rich don't!  Don't be fooled by these celebrities or people who purchase only the flashiest and newest of everything...some of them are just one paycheck from the poor house!  Read the book The Millionaire Next Door, it gives great insight into the mind and activities of those who do have wealth.

GREAT READ:
The Millionaire Next Door 1st (first) edition 

So having said all this. Here are the deals that YOU should be on the look out for and never overlook:
  • Coupons. Popular sources are:
    • Your Sunday paper
    • Online coupons
    • Clipping services
    • Magazines (all you is famous for having great coupons...thanks to my FB buddy Arianna for sharing this secret with me!)
    • Hang tags
    • Peelies
    • Catalinas
    • Store coupons
    • Coupon booklets (usually found in stores)
    • Facebook pages of your favorite products
    • E-coupons 
      • these are coupons that you clip and add to your store card.  For example Bloom and Harris Teeter have e coupons that you clip online (don't print) and they are applied to your purchase at checkout.  
  • Rebates
    • Often overlooked.
      But this is how I got my free Brita water pitcher.  So I'm officially a fan.  Lots of products that may not have coupons could possibly have rebates. Yes, there is a delayed satisfaction (you have to send off the rebate and wait for the check to arrive) but money is money, right? For my Brita pitcher I used a combination of coupons and a rebate to get it free..and it was on sale!  That's what I call winning!

  • Affinity Programs
    • If you shop online, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT just go to the website and shop.  You're loosing money! Many programs such as Upromise, Swagbucks and Shop at Home (my favs) give you cash back for shopping.  If you just shop "raw" (raw is what I call shopping without going through one of these programs) you're throwing away money.  They're going to give you a percentage of your purchase back on what you were going to do anyway! It's a no brainer!!!!  They also have special discounts and perks as well.  Don't shop raw!!!
  • Savings Star
    • I <3 Savings Star.  Its another e-coupon network that gives you savings on many items.  Instead of receiving your discount at the check out the money accrues in your account. Once you hit $5 you can receive a cash payout.  All you have to do is add your store cards...its mindless savings!! To sign up click here!
  • Endorse!
    • A new service with a great concepts! Endorse allows you to make money off your receipts!  Simply endorse products and retailers you shop and send in your receipts, and you will earn 10 percent of your purchase! Once your account hits $25, they will send you a check!  Endorse is a Facbook application, so head on over to FB, search for endorse and sign up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment